Thursday 28 May 2009

Sugar Bowl challenge

This is my entry for the sugar bowl challenge to Kathy's gorgeous sketch. To be in with a chance of winning the fantastic prize of 6 Sugar Nellie stamps you had to also use pearls on your card.

I remembered two of my other hobbies that I haven't really touched for years to help me with this card: one was calligraphy, I used to love doing this as a teenager and managed to hunt out my old pen and a cartridge; the other was sugar flower making.....only with paper! I have made the paper rose myself in the exact same way you make a rose from sugar paste LOL!! I'm really pleased with how it turned out so expect lots more of these! Also the stamens in the centres of the Prima flowers are the ones you get to make sugar flowers with, I think I've had them 9 years because I'm sure I used them in the sugar flowers on my wedding cake! You might notice my wash tablet net bags in action again....this time brown and I decided to cut some parts out to make it look more lacey but unfortunately I've covered most of it with the other papers!

a close up of my rose made in the same was as a sugarpaste rose but with crumpled paper!

a close up of the sentiment. I masked off a Whiff of Joy sentiment that says "thanks for being you" so that I just got the thank and the you! Took a few attempts but got there in the end.

a close up of the gorjuss girl. Don't know if you've ever done something and then when you look at it you can't believe you've done it? this is me with this image I can't belive I've coloured it, I'm so pleased how the hair and wings turned out!

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with this stamp...I do think its beautiful but on the other hand it has always seemed kind of creepy to me too but then a few weeks ago I came across a saying "children are born with wings, teachers help them to fly" and so this gave me the idea to use this image and make a thank you card for my little boy's teacher to give at the end of term.....what do you think? does this image work with the saying? too late now anyway LOL.

I added my pearls on some wire in place of the corner cutouts on the original sketch...I have used this pearls on wire thing three times now, I just love how it looks! Gosh sorry, look how I've rattled on!
The inside is decorated with the same image as the front and the saying written with my trusty old calligraphy pen. I have also used three different stamps from the Stempelglede grunge collection in the backgrounds.


Image: Gorjuss girl set 2 by Sugar Nellie coloured with copics
Papers: Porcelain silver birch, Kaiser elegance victoria, Bo Bunny Eire celtic text (reverse side)
Flowers: hand made and Prima
Embellishments: from stash
Other tools: Ink essentials white pen, Stempelglede grunge collection

5 comments:

The Dolphin Inn said...

Jane I think the quote is perfect for the stamp, gorgeous handwriting too, the flower is amazing, love the whole card XXX

Ila said...

Wow!! this is just Amazing and so Beautiful!!...love your coloring, handwriting, sentiment, accents and the Gorgeous flower you created!!...Hugs, Ila

Lilian said...

Your card is just beautiful all the way in. Wonderful sentiment (and calligraphy) and I may have to case it ;) I love your coloring and hand made roses. They are gorgeous! You are a true artist.
Thanks for joining the Sugar Bowl challenge and hope to see you in the next one too :) Have a great day!

Michele Kovack said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! Love your coloring! IT is perfect!!! All your embellishments are beautiful too!

Kathy said...

GOrgeous card!! I love everything about it!! All your details on the front are fabulous, love your flower!!!! I was wondering myself what I would use this image for and I just love your saying on the inside ~ brilliant!! Thanks so much for sharing and playing along in the challenge :)Kathy