Tuesday, 16 June 2009

Father's Day card - boxed shirt

Sorry I've been absent for a few days, I thought I'd better knuckle down and do the 13 other Whiff of Joy party invitations identical to my challenge entry, so on Sunday night I got a fair way into it, cut all the papers, coloured half the images but still need to finish the colouring and distress everything before assembly! Then last night I thought I really ought to do my Dad's Father's Day card seeing as it is on Sunday! I knew I was going to do a shirt card as I haven't got any stamps for male cards yet and just couldn't motivate myself to make it....because it didn't involve stamping or colouring or pretty paper and flowers LOL! Once I got into it though a few ideas came to mind and I don't feel too bad about showing it now.

Rather than a flat shirt card I thought it would look better 3D so made the tie nice and chunky like a real one and folded the shirt collars over it which then led me to decide to put it in a box like a new shirt.

I hand stitched around the cuffs and collars to make them look more realistic and threaded the button too.

I was going to decorate the inside with the same paper and cut a white circle for the message but then I was loading some washing this morning (just for a change LOL!) and looking at the wash labels I suddenly had a brainwave to sew an inside seam in the paper and add a wash label and spare button. I have then added a message tag with a safety pin which I have distressed with Faded Jeans and Brushed Cord distress inks to look like a clothing label.

Here's a close up of the message label and the stitched seam!

As it won't fit in an envelope I am going to make a mini boutique style shopping bag for it to go in which I'll show you later.

Papers: Papermania (blue check) and Dovecraft (tie)

Buttons: Basic Grey

Message Tag: Forever Friends sentiments set

Pin & clear "twine": stashed from a real new clothing label LOL!

Now my "essential" card is done I can get back to the ultimately more enjoyable task of stamping and challenges...yay!

Before I go I thought I'd share a couple of pictures of my children. We had a lovely day out on Sunday with my Dad, Brother and his girlfriend at a nearby castle, the weather was glorious and they both had a great time!

Connor doing his best cool dude impression LOL!

Kara getting a carry from Grandad on the battlements!

7 comments:

Amanda's paper palace said...

Wow Jane this is fab!looking forward to seeing the bag :)
hugs amanda x

Di said...

Hi Jane tried to post a comment before but it kicked me out. Hope this works.
Your card is fab you are sooo clever, start making a batch and get them on ebay!! they would sell.

Hugs Di xx

Kim Piggott said...

Wow Jane this is stunning!
So much detail and your design is just fabulous!
He will so love this such a clever idea!
Love your babies they are just gorgeous you must be so proud thanks for sharing!
hugs
kim x

Mina said...

what afantastic card for Fathers Day...gorgeous xxx

Elaine said...

This is an awesome card! Love it!

I still need to make Father's Day cards...eep! Better get cracking I suppose, as one of them needs to go in the post. :)

Tab said...

Wowee love your Father's day card, truly amazing , looks real LOL!
Hugs Tab xxx

papercraftsbyrach said...

wow this is fantastic, what a wonderful idea. love the sewing detail that you have added. hugs rachxx