Monday 16 October 2017

Magnolia-licious DT - Foamiran Autumn Wreath

Good morning!  I am very excited to share today's Magnolia-licious Foamiran project with you because I have been making it on and off for about a month!  Everything you see on the wreath was made by me - even the wreath itself!  I'm sorry, there are lots of photos because I wanted to capture every detail.
 I'l begin with my favourite flower on the wreath - the hydrangea.  This was created with white, light violet and olive green Foamiran and lilac stamens.  I used a Doohickey from the Vintage Box 1 for the flowers.  Some of the white flowers have been inked with Crushed Olive Distress Ink and the tips of all of them have been inked with Milled Lavender Distress Ink.  Every single flower has been taped and wired so that they could be clustered together to form a hydrangea head.  I love how it turned out!
Next to the hydrangea is a maple leaf that I cut out by hand from light violet Foamiran.  I then inked it with Aged Mahogany and Walnut Stain Distress Inks.  You can also see some oak leaves and birch leaves that I also cut out freehand.  These were cut from yellow Foamiran and inked with various yellow, orange and brown Distress Inks.  I also added some spots with a black pen to make them look more realistic.
At the opposite side of the hydrangea is my white pumpkin.  This was made by covering foil with ivory Foamiran and sectioning off with some cotton to create the pumpkin markings.  The stalk is brown paper!
Behind the pumpkin you can see another maple leaf.  This one was cut from red Foamiran and again inked with Aged Mahogany and Walnut Stain Distress Inks.
 Altogether I made four maple leaves - all finished with different inks to get the full colour range of autumn leaves.  This orange one was cut from lemon Foamiran and inked with Tea Die and Spiced Pumpkin Distress Inks.  You can see the black spots in more detail here.
The next flower is a chrysanthemum that I created using circle dies and cutting the petals freehand.  These were all cut from lilac Foamiran and inked with Walnut Stain Distress Ink to make the flower look like it is starting to wither and dry.
Next up is my sunflower.  Of course I had to make a sunflower!  I actually had some real sunflowers on my kitchen windowsill when I made this so it was an excellent reference point!  I tried very hard to get the centre to look realistic.  The whole sunflower is made from lemon Foamiran - yes, even the centre!  I inked the petals with Scattered Straw Distress Ink and the centre with Walnut Stain Distress Ink re-inker.  That was an incredibly messy job!
 Above the sunflower is another pumpkin - this time in orange.  I made it in the same why as the white pumpkin but used lemon Foamiran.  I have inked it with Spiced Marmalade Distress Ink.  The wreath itself I made from honeysuckle branches that I collected from my garden.  I tied them together with jute twine and covered one half with hessian to form a backdrop for the flowers.
You can see another oak leaf in this picture, along with a pine cone made from kraft cardstock using Tim Holtz Tattered Pinecone die.
Running along the entire flower section of the wreath is a spray of Callicarpa bodinieri with its luscious purple berries.  I made it with floristry wire, brown florist tape and purple foam flower centres.  It is another favourite part of the wreath as it looks quite realistic! I made one long spray...
 ...and a smaller one to peep out of the bottom of the flowers.  I will leave you with some more snapshots from different angles so that you can see all of the details.






 I hope you like it and I've inspired you to try Foamiran for yourself.  Thanks for looking!  Shawn has a fabulous selection in the Magnolia-licious store! x


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely stunning ! Love the gorgeous colours of your beautiful flowers
Hugs Kaz xx

Candy said...

Jane - you have outdone yourself with this BEAUTIFUL WREATH!!
I can't 'believe you made EVERYTHING!! The pumpkins are ingenious as is the Callicarpa bodinieri. You are a true artist and I can't thank you enough for showing all the ladies your beautiful work with FOAMIRAN.
Big Hugs, Candy xoxoxo